ESL of Southwest Michigan is looking for volunteer tutors to support learners in a summer English Language program for refugees and immigrants. The theme for the program is nutrition. ESL Instructors will teach English using a nutrition curriculum, including a weekly cooking session. Volunteers will work with learners to reinforce classroom lessons, practice Listening, Speaking, Writing, and Reading skills, and more.
Several volunteer opportunities are available, scroll down for details!
Please contact Doris Ravotas ([email protected] or 269-387-8370) to sign up or learn more.
When: July 8th – Aug 8th on Tues, Wed, Thurs (various times)
- Tutors to work one on one or in a small group (must be KLC or ESL trained), reviewing material from classroom sessions and assist in a preferred area (Listening, Speaking, Writing, or Reading)
- Helpers to assist in a beginning writing class taught by an expert in the area. You will be paired with a beginning student.
- Volunteers to assist students on computers, learning typing and the Burlington English platform. Training provided.
- Volunteers to assist in cooking classes, teaching English while cooking. Training provided.
Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday evenings:
- Volunteers to serve as receptionists, checking learners in and out, answering questions, helping to find classes.
Tuesday & Thursday mornings:
- Level one classroom tutors to work 1:1 with students
Registration day (July 8):
- Assist learners with registration and completing computer testing