The Kalamazoo Literacy Council values the safety of our staff, volunteers, learners, and community members with the utmost priority. The COVID-19 pandemic is causing a massive response on global, national, and local levels. We encourage everyone to take steps to help keep this and other viruses from spreading. These include:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if you can’t use soap and water.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay indoors except for essential trips out of the home (i.e. work, groceries, pharmacies).
- If you must venture out, wear protective face coverings (cloth masks) especially in areas where social distancing practices are difficult to maintain (i.e. grocery stores).
On March 11, 2020, Governor Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) released Community Mitigation Strategies that “apply to businesses, workplaces, schools, community organizations, health care institutions, and individuals of all ages, backgrounds, and health profiles.” The statement breaks down specific directives, categorized by type of organization or institution. A category labeled “Other Mass Events,” states: “Cancel or postpone large gatherings, conferences, and sporting events (e.g., greater than 100 people in a shared space).” Therefore, the KLC is postponing the 10th Annual Kalamazoo SCRABBLE® Fest until health-related conditions are deemed safe to resume normal activity. We are optimistic that the event will still happen in 2020, and until a new date is secured, we are pausing all media and promotional activity. Further, in keeping with the direction set forth by Governor Whitmer, the MDHHS, and Kalamazoo Public Schools, we are making the following adjustments to KLC operations, until further notice:
- While in-person tutoring and classes have ceased, we are proud to offer all KLC programs and services via our Virtual Learning Center.
- All meetings will be held via WebEx.
- Please email Jessi Pavey, KLC Operations Manager, at [email protected] with questions. Please continue to visit www.cdc.gov or www.michigan.gov/coronavirus for the most up to date information and safety precautions.