The Kalamazoo Literacy Council values the safety of our staff, volunteers, and learners with the utmost priority. In keeping with the direction from Governor Gretchen Whitmer, the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services, and Kalamazoo/Portage Public Schools, we are making the following adjustments to the ESL of Southwest Michigan Program and the Prince of Peace Community Literacy Center:
The KLC offers several types of free classes designed for English Language Learners to reach their individual goals. Our wonderful team of trained volunteers tutor these motivated learners using special techniques to help them grasp language skills for conversational/social interactions, academic excellence, and workforce readiness. Our ESL program strengthens reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills, in addition to spelling and comprehension.
Classes are led by volunteers and ESL of SWMI instructors Jacqueline DeNoyer and Vicki Konzen. We have an open enrollment policy so learners can join anytime! All that’s needed is photo ID, either a passport, driver’s license, Kalamazoo County ID card, or Michigan ID card.
Download the schedule: 2020 Spring ESL Schedule
- English as a Second Language: Pre-literacy, low and high beginning, intermediate, and advanced classes with lessons designed to improve cultural understanding as well as English literacy skills.
- Job Skills: Helps learners obtain better reading and writing scores, write cover letters and resumes, and better understand language for work environments (Distance Learning).
- Burlington English Lab: Uses the computer-based Burlington English curriculum which combines academic and workforce readiness skills to actively engage and prepare learners for post secondary education and job training.
- TOEFL®: Preparation for the TOEFL® exam for higher education and academic goal-oriented learners.
- Citizenship: English learning and civics classes to prepare for the U.S. Citizenship Test.
The KLC also partners with many organizations throughout the region to offer classes in multiple locations so learners can make choices that are best suited for their interests, schedules, or transportation needs.
Please call or email Jacqueline for ESL Community Literacy Center locations and services.