Position Title: ESL Adult Education Instructor Rate: $25 – $28 per hour
Classification: Independent Contractor Work Schedule: 5 – 10 hours per week
The purpose of this position is to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) classes and provide academic support for English Language Learners. The position seeks to improve the ability of English Language Learners to communicate in English to meet their academic, professional, and personal goals.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Teaching assigned ESL classes.
- Planning, developing, and implementing lesson plans.
- Developing and coordinating special activities and programs for English Language Learners.
- Working with individual learners to help them achieve their learning goals.
- Assisting with testing, enrollment, and orientation processes.
- Assisting in the development of academic and other resources to enhance the program and adult learner success.
- Providing attendance, program reports, and documenting positive program outcomes.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and/or stipulated by contract.
- Excellent foundation in basic skills, reading, math, spelling, and language.
- At least one and preferably two to five years of experience teaching adults or other classroom experience.
- Working knowledge of assigned curriculum, technology, or learning software used in class and support services provided by the KLC.
- Ability to build rapport with and be sensitive to the needs of adult learners.
- Must be sensitive to adults who have multiple barriers to social/economic success.
Post-secondary degree from an accredited teacher preparation program. MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or teaching certificate with ESL endorsement preferred.
Hours: Tuesday & Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at Westwood United Methodist Church, 538 Nichols Rd, Kalamazoo, MI 49006.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to Jessi Pavey, Operations Manager, [email protected].
The Kalamazoo Literacy Council (KLC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the KLC to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability, union activities or sentiments, political affiliation, height, weight, genetic information, veteran status or record of arrest without conviction.